Where's Becci? is an insight into London-dwelling creator Becci's global adventures.

Monday 21 September 2020

Lake District - An Unexpected Twist




2020, above all the lessons, retaught me to appreciate what I already have. And so with that in mind, and my constant need and desire to explore, I looked within the United Kingdom for this year’s big trip. My love for travel is pretty well documented in this blog, and so the Lake District, being on furlough and one hell of an amazing travel companion was simply a match made in heaven. This is what a silver lining really looks like. 

Those that know me well know I would never do a 4:30am wake up call for anything or anyone, but we had a 5 hour drive ahead of us, an epic playlist, and all the car snacks. Vacation mode was turned ON. And, turns out, driving from London to Ullswater in the Lake District was smooth, easy, fun, and just kept on giving and giving in terms of scenery (cue my mind instantly wondering as to where else to drive to in the future...). It truly felt like we had entered a watercolour painting, something straight off a postcard. I mean, HOW did I never consider a home vacay until now?!


Our what I can only call MANOR of a hotel exceeded all expectations. We stayed 3 nights at the 200 year old Macdonald Leeming House, set in 22 acres of glorious countryside, and included a glutinous all-you-can-eat breakfast buffet, and 3 course dinner. The luxury suite room, with its dreamy marbled bathroom, had a private balcony, which you can bet I was straight onto in my bathroom robe, Celine sunglasses and a cup of coffee in hand. The land led all the way down to the lake, and it was such a treat having direct access to the water for a stroll first and last thing (especially when you needed to walk off our little piggy bellies).


Being cooped up inside for the best part of 6 months basically had us like kids in a candy store, and so activity after activity was booked. We kayaked the Ullswater lake, rode horses on a trek through the forest, took an archery lesson, hiked 3 mountains in 9 hours, and swam in the lake. Add to this a quick waterfall pitstop and wander through the quaint village of Keswick for fudge and ice cream, it was quite an action packed 3.5 days. If you fancy some of the same, look into Glenridding and Rookin House.


I think we ended up having more of an amazing time thanks to feeling grateful for being safe and healthy on an hourly basis. I shall let the images speak for themselves, and hopefully bring some escapism to those who have not yet been able to adventure far from home.


Appreciation; there is no better time than now. 



















SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

Blog Layout Designed by pipdig